About the Organisation
Bengal Clean Air Network (Bengal – CAN) is a citizen network under the aegis of SwitchON Foundation. We started Kolkata Clean Air Network 3 years back, to mobilise communities across the city to take action towards air pollution. Over the years we have realised that it is a growing emergency across Bengal and it is one of the highest contributors of pollution in India. Through our initiatives we aim to make both policy and lifestyle level changes.
About the Bengal Clean Air Champion Cohort
India has 21 out 30 most polluted cities in the world and records the highest number of deaths in the world due to air pollution. 40% of the total pollution in India can be credited to Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. It is high time the youth of the state takes it upon themselves to bring about change in the exponential rise in pollution. The Clean Air Champions will be youth leaders who will take up various initiatives across Bengal to make significant changes in mindset, policy or technology in order to reduce air pollution.
The Bengal Clean Air Champion will be organised for a period of 3 – 6 months (approximately). The workshop will be organised on the weekends for the ease of working professionals and students with prior engagements during the week. The programme will provide the clean air champions with appropriate skills to manage projects related to climate change and environment and scale their idea into reality.
- You are under 30 years of age
- You are creative, skilled, passionate and innovative about making a real difference in the society through you work and idea
- Passionate about curbing air pollution
- You spend at least 10 hours a month in any form to work towards reducing air pollution
What is expected from the Clean Air Champion?
- You have to attend 3 workshops marked mandatory
- Come up with a proper plan to implement your idea on the curbing air pollution
- Complete all the assignments directed by the trainers of each workshops
- Actively participate in the campaigns of Bengal Clean Air Network
- Continue to spend at least 10 hours per month on curbing air pollution
How does the programme work?
- There are two major aspects of the programme. One, It will train the clean air champions and Second, the self initiated projects will be personal initiative of the champions and will require utmost dedication and self motivation for proper implementation
- The workshops will be online and the champions are expected to arrange their own internet access and other gadgets required for online sessions through e-meet softwares. The candidate must possess good communication skills.
- The initial process will be to register yourself for the programme through the form link and answer all the questions properly. Please Note, your answers to the question will determine your selection to the programme
- The selected candidates will be notified via mail about their selection to the cohort. The detailed outline of the workshops and the timeline will
be sent along with the acceptance letter to the selected clean air champions
- The learning component of the programme will include
- Leadership Training: Candidates will trained in project designing, acquiring finance and project management
- Sector Specific Training: Training in air pollution and ways to curb it, waste management, sources of air pollution, urban mobility and sustainable Transportation and Climate Change
- Effective Developmental Communication: Effective and persuasive communication such as blogging, photography, videography and designing will form the crux of this component
- Technological Innovation: Workshops on making IOT based products to reduce and monitor air pollution such as Air Quality Monitor will be organised
Some project ideas
There are no limitations to the kind of projects you can bring to the table. The Clean Air Champion will either initiate a project on their own or can form groups. Some of the ideas can be, but no limited to the following:
- Awareness Campaigns
– Cycling and Sustainable Mobility
– Air Pollution Reduction and Monitoring
- Field implementation and Infrastructural Development
– Vertical Garden Setup
– Waste Segregation Programmes
- Develop technology
– Household Air Quality Monitors
– IOT based sensors for polluters etc
– Street Play, Art Competition, Photography Competition among school and college students
– Poster and Visual Campaigns
How to Register?
Interested applicants can apply for the program through this link.
Jan 8, 2021
For more details, click the link below.