Applications are invited for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2021 by Govt. of Canada.
About the Fellowship
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
No. of Fellowships
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually
- approximately 140 awards are active at any time.
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Eligibility window for degree completion
Applicants to the 2021-22 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2018 and September 30, 2022 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2022.
For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
- All eligible applications to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) program undergo an evaluation by a selection committee from one of the three federal granting agencies: the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
- Applications are reviewed against three (3) equally weighted selection criteria, and ranked.
- The ranked list of all the applications is submitted to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee for their approval.
- The TAP Steering Committee, made up of the presidents of the three federal granting agencies and the deputy ministers of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and of Health Canada, approves the final slate of 70 awardees annually.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
|April to September 2021||Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines).|
|September 22, 2021|
|Deadline for complete application submission|
|October to December 2021||Evaluation of applications|
|Mid-February 2022||Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|April to October 2022||Payments begin|
More such opportunities that you might be interested in:
- IIT Gandhinagar Early-Career Fellowship 2021 [Amount of Rs. 1L]: Apply by Jun 7 [Extended]
- Landhaus Fellowship Program 2022 by Rachel Carson Center (RCC), Germany [Fully Funded]: Apply by June 15
- The Susan Jaffe Tane Fellowship 2021-22 by Walt Whitman Initiative: Apply by June 15