Azim Premji University seeks a Research Associate to join its Community Engagement Cell to help the cell map the socio-economic conditions of the villages in the vicinity of the campus and identify potential areas of engagement and intervention.
Azim Premji University was established in 2010 by the Azim Premji Foundation. The Foundation works extensively with the public school systems in many states in India, with a clear purpose – to contribute to a just equitable, humane, and sustainable society. The University supports Education and related fields of human development through its programs of study that prepare professionals with integrity, competence, and social commitment.
The project will involve:
- Preparing detailed profiles of villages around the university campus. This will include mapping the natural resources, public institutions, infrastructure related to health, drinking water, and education, livelihood opportunities, financial institutions. Also, mapping of local industries, malls and shopping complexes, apartments, and other private initiatives
- Mapping the local political institutions and leaders, their development interventions, and their patterns of engagement with public offices
- Profiling the socio-economic conditions of local communities, and migrant labor.
- Preparing status reports on agriculture, education, vocational training, entrepreneurship, health issues, equity, and social justice and identifying major development and sustainability issues, threats opportunities and conflicts arising due to new urban settlements, and the community’s perception of these issues
- Identifying potential partners to initially engage with: active community-based organizations, youth groups, and other such formal/informal bodies
- Establish contacts with potential elected members, social activists, community representatives, and public officials.
Qualification and Experience
- Fluency in reading and writing in Kannada and English.
- Conversational ability in Hindi and other South Indian languages would be a bonus.
- Willingness and ability to a) network and establish contacts, b) build rapport, and c) sensibly engage with a diversity of communities including public officials and local politicians.
- Meticulous documentation skills in Kannada and English.
- A degree/ post-graduate degree in any social science discipline.
- Work experience (2-3 years) with similar roles would be preferable.
- Candidates from the vicinity, staying in near-by localities would be preferred (address mentioned at the end).
Duration of the Project
Candidates should commit to the position for at least 2 years.
How to Apply?
To download the application form, click here.
Candidates are requested to email the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Completed Application Form
Please send in the above documents by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for CEC Project”.
For full notification, click the link below.