The Regional Science Association of India in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), supported by the Nurturing Young Talent Programme of the Regional Science Association International is going to organize the Autumn School on Big Data and Methods in Regional Science during October 21-25, 2019.
About the Autumn School:
Making sense of Big Data is the current challenge and researchers must constantly review methods of analysis.
The workshop will incorporate technical sessions wherein experts will share their experiences of use and applicability of contemporary methods in spatial analysis of big data, debate and discuss with participants and also facilitate the hands-on use of software in case of data analytics, spatial statistical modelling, GIS and Remote Sensing.
The experts will expect participants to defend their research papers on the basis of comments /suggestions that will pre-date the workshop.
The aim is to bring together resource persons and instructors from different sub-themes of Regional Science and also to have special sessions dedicated to planning and policy matters, with special reference to urban planning.
The School aims to create a melting pot of academicians and policymakers to create a new agenda for Regional Science in the coming years. The dissemination of research in regional science, handling big data and data analytics with renewed synergies are expected to be the clear outcomes of the proposed workshop.
Who can participate?
- Applicants are expected to have clear research goals pertaining to the theme and a good understanding of spatial science (geography, economics, planning, and allied subjects).
- Candidates should have completed Masters and enrolled/applied for Research positions. Early career researchers may also apply.
- Basic statistics, soft-computing skills, and GIS knowledge are necessary.
- Selections will be based on the research proposals being evaluated by a Review Committee comprising members of International and India section.
- Members of RSA India and RSAI: INR 4000.
- Non-members (SAARC): INR 5000.
- Non-member Non-SAARC countries: 100 €.
How to Apply?
Click here to register.
Step I: Applicants must submit (in PDF) to rsaitiss.autumnschool[at]gmail.com along with the following documents:
- A covering letter expressing the relevance of the workshop to his/her academic career.
- A research concept note (max 2-3 pages) will be the basis of selection. It must contain (i) relevance and discussion of the problem including its applicability (ii) clear research questions (iii) literature review (iv) analytical framework and (v) expected outcomes.
- Brief current CV
Step II: On being selected, full papers must be submitted in order to be enrolled for the workshop.
- Preliminary application (Step I) with at least 400 words abstract within: June 20, 2019.
- Notification of selection: July 15, 2019.
- Full paper submission within: August 30, 2019.
- Registration within: August 30, 2019.