Applications are invited for Asia Foundation Development Fellows Program 2022. The last date of application is 29 November.
About the Organization
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote international cooperation.
Headquartered in San Francisco, The Asia Foundation works through its network of offices in 18 Asian countries and in Washington, DC. Working with public and private partners, the Foundation receives funding from a diverse group of bilateral and multilateral development agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals. In 2020, we provided $78.6 million in direct program support and distributed textbooks and other educational materials valued at $5 million.
About the Fellowship
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals, under age 40, to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program reflects the Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders.
The Asia Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2022 Asia Foundation Development Fellows: Emerging Leadership for Asia’s Future program. The 2022 fellowship class will be the 8th cohort of this program, which is designed to engage and empower a dynamic community of emerging leaders from across Asia.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2022;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries and region where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pacific Islands; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
How Does it Work?
- The 2022 program will consist of two intensive modules, including a virtual Leadership Training Program in the spring and a two-week, in-person program in the United States in the fall, allowing Fellows to stay in their current occupations during the fellowship year.
- The Leadership Training Program will commence in mid-March with 20 hours of intensive leadership training sessions and 10-20 hours of Asian Development Virtual Study Tours between March 19 and April 29 of 2022.
- The Leadership Training Program is highly interactive and hands-on, featuring leadership coaches, speakers, assignments, public-speaking development, and sessions focused on self-care and wellness for leaders.
- The Asian Development Virtual Study Tour will connect Fellows with leading development practitioners and thinkers, policy leaders, and local innovators who will help Fellows explore approaches that deliver positive impact and understand the mechanics of change on the ground.
- In October 2022, the Fellows will visit San Francisco and Washington, DC for a 2-week Leadership Dialogue and Exchange program (subject to Covid-19 restrictions).
- Additionally, Fellows receive a fixed number of one-on-one executive coaching sessions and a professional development award of US $5,000 (INR 3,72,575.75) to utilize throughout the fellowship year.
How to Apply?
Step 1: Check your eligibility: Please carefully read the Eligibility and Selection criteria above, and read the Application Instructions.
Step 2: Prepare for the application process: Review the Application Guidelines and Instructions and complete each component of the application:
- Personal information
- Written submission
- Short video submission
- Letters of recommendation (handled online)
Step 3: Start your application: The application window will be open from Monday, October 11, 2021, to Monday, November 29, 2021
- The program is highly competitive. Staff from The Asia Foundation will evaluate each application thoroughly and narrow down the pool of applicants.
- Final selections will be conducted by a distinguished committee with expertise on Asia’s needs and development conditions.
- Fellows will be chosen without regard to gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need.
- All submitted application information will be treated as confidential unless stated otherwise in the application.
- The identities of nominees will also remain confidential throughout the final selection process.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, November 29, 2021, and selections will be announced at the end of January 2022.
Amy Ovalle, Vice President, Global Communications
Eelynn Sim, Director, Media & Strategy
You may also be interested in: