UN invites submission for United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition 2020. Photography is a powerful medium to convey a feeling or a message. This open and free photo competition seeks to inspire the creation of imagery capturing the beauty, the challenges and the importance of the ocean and humankind’s relation to it, hoping to contribute to actions to preserve it.
The photo competition has 10 thematic categories open for submissions:
- NEW Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean*
- NEW Rejuvenation**
- Underwater Seascapes
- Underwater Life
- Above Water Seascapes
- Human Interaction: Making a Difference
- Clean Our Ocean – Images relating to the ocean that show the positive or negative consequences of human interference above or below the waterline
- NEW Digital Ocean Photo Art***
- Youth – Open category for photographers under 18 years of age as of 1 May 2020
- NEW Science in Action: Ocean Decade 2021-2030 category
- Entries must be saved in JPEG format and should be sized to be between 2,000 and 6,000 pixels in the longest dimension. Please limit your images to a maximum file size of 5,000KB (5MB). Images will be viewed on a large monitor and should be in the AdobeRGB 1998 or sRGB color space.
- Please do not include any watermark or borders on your images. These elements will detract from the image’s impact. It’s not that we don’t want you to protect your images; it’s just hard to appreciate an image with a watermark over it. (We will keep the display of winning images consistent, and when your image is displayed, it will be clearly labeled as your image.)
- The same image can only be entered into one category.
- Winning images will be recognized at the United Nations on Monday June 8 during the United Nations’ event marking World Oceans Day 2020.
- Recognition and diffusion of the winning images and finalists will be widely exposed throughout the contest websites, the media and the informational materials related to subsequent competitions. Winning photos have been printed for exhibitions around the world.