FINISH Mondial is inviting applications for its 2nd Annual SanTech Hackathon 2021.
FINISH Mondial is an ambitious, 6-country programme aiming to substantially scale up the access and use of safe sanitation led by Dutch NGOs, WASTE, Amref Flying Doctors & Aqua for All, funded in part by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (DGIS). FINISH started in India (2009) with the aim of building a local system to deliver sanitation services on a large scale.
About the Hackathon
The following problems have been identified which make toilets expensive and unsustainable, especially for the rural poor:
- High cost of emptying, high fill-up rate due to infiltration of the ground water
- Substructure damage due to water level fluctuation
- Frequent retirement for some retrofitting/maintenance after each flood
- High need for toilets during flooding
For this, they are looking for:
- Innovations suitable for high-water table areas (ground water table 1m below the ground) & flooded/water logged (max. 0.6m above the ground)
- Improvements one existing systems or completely new ideas, created through: novel design, choice of materials, new processes, and/or any other component
- Innovations must address all components of the toilet and its functionalities
As winners you will win prize money and chance to implement your innovation on the field.
- First prize: €3,000 (₹2.7L) + implementation of your solution in one of the FINISH Mondial countries
- Second prize: €2,000 (₹1.8L)
- Third prize: €1,000 (₹90,000)
- Audience favourite (live voting during virtual event): €1,000 (₹90,000)
FINISH Mondial welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates. You can apply as an individual or as part of the group (Research institution, academic institution, NGO, or entrepreneur). Participants with technical experience on toilet construction are encouraged to apply.
Panels will select finalists and winners based on:
- How novel is your idea? (20% of score)
- How does your idea address the challenge? Is your idea appropriate for the high ground water table and flood-prone areas? (40% of score)
- How technically feasible is your design, and how easy it would be to implement and scale? (20% of score)
- How cost-effective is your idea? (20% of score)
How to Apply?
Prepare your application with:
- The application form (Annex 1)
- Supporting materials (including 2 videos (landscape format) of: 60 seconds footage of your innovation in action and 60 seconds interview style explaining how the innovation works and 3 photos)
- Submit your application and supporting materials (before 30 May) at this link.
- Contest launch: 23 March 2021
- Last date for submission: 30 May 2021 (Updated) 23:59 CET
- Live virtual event & winners’ announcement: 21 July 2021
For further information, click on the link below