About the Challenge
The Alexa Prize Socialbot Grand Challenge 4 (the “Competition”) is a skill competition sponsored by Amazon.com Services LLC (“Sponsor”), where competing teams of college or university students build a conversational Alexa skill using the Alexa Skills Kit APIs that converses with users on popular topics and current events via Amazon Alexa (a “Socialbot”).
Goal of the Challenge
The goal of the Socialbot Grand challenge is to advance several areas of conversational AI including natural language understanding (NLU), context modeling, dialog management, commonsense reasoning, natural language generation (NLG), and knowledge acquisition. The grand challenge objective is to create a socialbot that converses coherently and engagingly with humans on popular topics for 20 minutes while achieving a customer rating of at least 4.0/5.0.
To be eligible to enter the Competition, you must:
- be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate student at an accredited college or university (other than colleges or universities located in any of the restricted jurisdictions outlined below) (“Universities”) and remain a full-time student in good standing at such University while participating in the Competition;
- be at or above the age of majority in your country, state, province or jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry; and
- not be a person or entity under U.S. export controls or sanctions. Competition is void in Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, the region of Crimea, and where prohibited by law.
- People who, during the Competition Period, are directors, officers, employees, interns, and contractors (“Personnel”) of Sponsor, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective advertising, promotion and public relations agencies, representatives, and agents (collectively, “Competition Entities”), immediate families members of such Personnel (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each) and members of the households of such Personnel (whether related or not) are ineligible to participate in this Competition
Entrants (“Entrants”) must enter as part of an “Entrant Team” consisting of one or more students from a single University. An Entrant is only permitted to be part of one Entrant Team. Any Entrant that is part of more than one Entrant Team may be disqualified and his/her corresponding Entrant Teams may be disqualified as well at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Only one member of the Entrant Team may submit an application on behalf of an Entrant Team but all those listed on the application will be deemed Entrants.
- Each Entrant Team selected to participate in the Initial Skills Development Period will be eligible to receive a stipend award of $250,000 U.S. dollars (in any number of installments as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), which will be awarded to the Universities of the selected Entrant Teams in the form of restricted research grants.
- The grants will be awarded to support two full-time students or the equivalent of two full-time students for the duration of the Competition and one month of the Faculty Advisor’s salary. Each University will be responsible for allocating and managing the funds within these guidelines and for payment and reporting of any required taxes, withholdings, fees or duties.
- Each member of an Entrant Team whose University receives a stipend award, and its Faculty Advisor, will also receive Alexa-enabled devices (up to a maximum of four devices per Entrant Team, including the device provided to the Faculty Advisor), free AWS services to support the development of their Socialbot (subject to reasonable limitations set by Sponsor), and support from the Alexa team as determined by Sponsor.
A prize of $500,000 will be awarded to the team that creates the best socialbot. The second-place and third-place finalist teams will receive a $100,000 and a $50,000 prize, respectively
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the challenge through this link.
|PHASES||STARTS ON:||ENDS ON:|
|PHASE 1:Participant Application Period||September 9, 2020||October 6, 2020 at|
11:59 PM PT
|PHASE 2: Sponsor Application Review Period||October 7, 2020||October 21, 2020|
|PHASE 3: Participant Notification Period/Onboarding||Between October 22 and November 6, 2020|
|PHASE 4: Initial Skills Development Period||November 9, 2020||December 18, 2020 at|
11:59 PM PT
|PHASE 5: Skill Certification Period||December 21, 2020||December 30, 2020|
|PHASE 6: Internal Amazon Beta Period||January 4, 2021||January 15, 2021|
|PHASE 7: Initial Feedback Period||January 18, 2021||February 26, 2021|
|PHASE 8: Quarterfinals Interaction Period||March 2, 2021||April 30, 2021|
|PHASE 9: Semifinals Interaction Period||May 4, 2021||June 25, 2021|
|PHASE 10: Additional Feedback Phase||July 5, 2021||July 23, 2021|
|PHASE 11: Finals Event||July 2021|
|WINNERS ANNOUNCED||August 2021|
For more details, click the link below.