The International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIIT Bangalore) invites you to be a part of an interdisciplinary Master’s Program in Digital Society.
About the IIIT Bangalore
The International/Indian Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore is a research university in Bangalore, India. The institute is a registered not-for-profit society funded jointly by the Government of Karnataka and the IT industry under a public-private partnership model.
About the M.Sc. (Digital Society) Program
The two-year program is a blend of topics drawn from information technology and social sciences. It trains new-age professionals to design, deploy and develop digital technologies for diverse populations across domains like governance, healthcare, education, infrastructures, media to name a few.
In our efforts to create an equitable and inclusive digital society, our graduates will be able to,
- Identify the needs of the diverse users of ICT in different social and industrial contexts
- Understand technological possibilities and their potential to solve the problems
- Design solutions for the optimal adoption by heterogeneous user segments
- Examine digital technology and the complex ways in which it shapes society, social institutions, and culture
- Visualize macro-level needs and design scalable technology to cater to large user segments in different contexts
- Analyze intricate relationships and practical choices at the intersection of technical design, policy frameworks, and ethics
Who is this Programme For?
If you believe in building a career in technology that impacts society, this program is tailor-made just for you.
Preparatory Term (2 weeks):
This two-week orientation will consist of a series of sessions, including lectures, readings, and audio-visual media to expose students to the foundational logic of the programme and its interdisciplinary underpinnings.
- Technical Foundations (to cover programming and database fundamentals)
- Social Science Foundations (to cover some fundamental ideas in social science, reading comprehension and writing practice)
Semester 1 (18 credits, 5 core courses)
- Digital components of a connected society (4 credits)
- Application development for a connected society, OR, Enterprise software development (2 credits)
- Qualitative research methods (4 credits)
- Quantitative data analysis for public policy (4 credits)
- Technology and society (4 credits)
Semester 2 (16 credits, 4 core courses)
- Technology in development (4 credits)
- ICT Policy and regulation (4 credits)
- Social complexity and systems thinking (4 credits)
- Human computer interaction (4 credits)
- Elective 1 (Optional)
Some electives offered in this term include:
- Digital sociology
- Techno-economics of networks
- Dynamics of the Information Technology industry
- News literacies in a digital society
Semester 3 (16 credits, 4 electives)
Some electives offered as part of the programme are:
- Advanced qualitative research methods
- Cyberspace, globalization and location
- Digital platforms: Technology and business components
- Technology Ethics and Artificial Intelligence
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- An Introduction to Accessibility in the Global South
- Privacy in the digital age
- Social media communication
- Advanced Topics in Human Computer Interaction
- The Web and the mind
- Software Product Management
Semester 4 (16 credits Thesis/Internship)
In the final term, students will be required to either: (a) work on a Master’s thesis to hone their research skills; OR (b) undertake an internship to further sharpen their professional skills by applying the learnings from courses undertaken during the previous terms – this could involve working on a project within their parent organizations
- Human-centred digital design
- Data intensive digital design
- Research and policy studies
All core courses are required for all three specialization tracks. Electives required are as follows:
- An undergraduate degree (of at least 3 years duration) in any discipline (including arts, science, commerce, design, management, law, engineering, etc.) with a first division/class from a recognized University. Those expecting to graduate by 1st August 2022 may also apply.
- The candidates who have a valid score in CAT 2021, CEED 2022, CUCET 2022, or TISS NET 2022 may be exempted from appearing for a written test at IIIT Bangalore.
- Working professionals are also encouraged to apply.
- The tuition fee is Rs. 1,92,000/- per semester.
- General Scholarships: A limited number of scholarships of up to 50% tuition fee waiver will be made available on merit cum means basis at the time of admission.
- Tridib Roy Chowdhury Scholarship is being endowed to extend a 100% tuition waiver, for a year, to an entering M.Sc. (Digital Society) student. This scholarship will apply a merit-cum-means criterion, with preference to a woman applicant. The candidate will be identified by the Admissions Committee of the M.Sc. programme.
- International students to be admitted in the academic year 2022-23 will have to pay a tuition fee of US$ 10,000 per year (at the rate of US$ 5,000 per semester). The tuition fee is periodically revised and such revisions are announced before the start of every academic year.
- In addition, admitted students who stay on campus in the student hostels, pay approximately US$ 1,200 per year towards hostel charges and approximately US$ 1,000 per year for food. The Institute reserves the right to change these rates periodically. A medical insurance premium (with coverage applicable only during stay in India) at actuals (approximately, US$ 25 per year) will also be payable
How to Apply?
Candidates can apply online here.
Note: The portal works best on IE/Chrome/Firefox accessed through the desktop.
- 15th March 2022: Admissions Open
- 25th May 2022: Last date for submitting online applications
- 4th June 2022: Written test will be conducted online for candidates without a valid score in CAT 2021, CEED 2022, CUCET 2022 or TISS NET 2022.
- 5th-6th June 2022: Personal interviews through video calling application for shortlisted candidates with a valid score from IIITB Entrance exam or from any of the following examination: CAT 2021, CEED 2022, CUCET 2022 or TISS NET 2022.
- 15th June 2022: Release of first list of selected candidates (additional lists may be released if required)
- Offer acceptance and payment of fees: As noted in the offer letter
- 8th July 2022: Registrations for the new batch at the IIIT Bangalore campus
- 11th July – 30th July 2022: Program orientation sessions
- 1st August 2022: Semester 1 classes begin
For further details and queries, do write to the Programme Coordinator, M.Sc. (Digital Society) at admission-ds[at]iiitb.ac.in.