About the University
The University of Barcelona (Universidad de Barcelona) is a public university located in the city of Barcelona, Catalonia in Spain. The university provides 73 undergraduate programs, 273 graduate programs and 48 doctorate programs to over 63,000 students.
About the PhD Programme
The University of Barcelona (UB) offers you the opportunity to undertake research in a wide range of fields of economics taking part of an international PhD programme in the vibrant city of Barcelona.
The PhD in Economics is one of only a small number of doctoral programmes in Spain to have received the Quality Award for Research Excellence from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, which acknowledges the quality and impact of the research carried out within the PhD framework.
The programme prepares PhD students for the academic job market. Former PhD students have been placed in academic research institutions in the US and Europe (PUC-Rio, LSE, Universidad Carlos III, Institue of Economics – Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Yale University, University of Sussex…) as well as international organizations and governmental institutions.
- Master’s degree in Economics with a satisfactory average grade, a solid foundation in economics and analytical skills (advanced Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics and Mathematics), field courses and a research Master Thesis.
- Proof of proficiency in English. Unless you are a native English speaker or have undertaken a university study programme in English, you need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. Preferred certificates are the Cambridge, TOEFL (Code C085 for all UB School of Economics programmes) or IELTS. Please upload a copy of it in the application form. Additionally, you can also report the score to us directly via your test center.
- Two contacts for recommendation. Once your application is reviewed by the admissions team, you will receive an email to provide the name and contact email of your references. The system will automatically send them a request.
The annual tuition academic fees for this academic year 2019/2020 are 540,92€. In addition, students with an international degree should pay 218,15€ during the enrolment period. Finally, the cost of the thesis defense is 156,87€.
The total amount of the PhD’s fees according this academic year (at minimum):
- Full-time PhD (3 years): 1.779,63€
- Part-time PhD (5 years): 2.861,47€
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply through this link.