Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (HBCSE-TIFR), Mumbai is inviting applications for admission into PhD Programme in Science Education 2020 from enthusiastic people with:
- interest in science education and mathematics education,
- flair for teaching and writing,
- curiosity about how students learn,
- critical and analytical skills,
- commitment to improve education.
Science and mathematics teachers and educators are also encouraged to apply. They would have to spend a minimum of two years at HBCSE and can undertake research while stationed at their parent institutions.
Note: This is a programme in education. It is not a pure or applied science research programme.
Areas Of Research
- Teaching and learning of science and mathematics from
- primary to undergraduate level
- Innovative curricula and assessment methods, experimental
- problem-solving in science
- Development of scientific and mathematical thinking in
- students at school and college level
- Design and technology in the curriculum
- Visual and spatial modes in learning
- Socio-cultural and gender factors in learning
- Science-Technology-Society-Environment Education
- Science of learning and new computational media
- Discipline-based education research in physics, chemistry,
- biology, mathematics, astronomy and environmental science education.
M.Sc. (in any subject), M.E., M. Tech or a Master’s degree (M.A./ M.S.W.) in any of the social/ behavioural sciences/ psychology/ linguistics/ sociology/ economics/ anthropology, M.Ed. with a science or social sciences/ humanities undergraduate degree
Admissions are made initially for six months, renewable every six months up to a maximum of five years. Continuation is subject to completion of milestones as specified by the subject board.
- ₹31,000 per month till registration
- ₹35,000 per month post-registration
- Additionally, 24% HRA in lieu of on-campus institute accommodation
- Annual contingency grant of ₹40000
An application fee of ₹250 for female candidates and ₹750 for male candidates should be paid online or through DD (non-refundable) in favour of “Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR” and payable at Mumbai. To apply offline, send the completed form along with one passport size photograph and the demand draft to Graduate School Admissions – 2020, Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, V. N. Purav Marg, Mankhurd, Mumbai 400088.
How to Apply?
To apply online, visit here.
A written test for eligible applicants will be held at different centres around the country: Chennai, Bengaluru, Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bhopal and Guwahati (provisional). Those who qualify will be called for an interview.
Application submission deadline: April 15, 2020
Written test: May 10, 2020
Interview: June 3rd week, 2020