Applications are invited from highly interested and motivated candidates for admission to the Ph.D. program at the University of Calcutta.
The candidate has to have either NET/SET/M. Phil (from any recognized university with 2-semester/ 1-year course work) or has to qualify in the research entrance test (RET) conducted by the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta.
Those who have done the pre-submission seminar and completed the Viva-voce the process by December 31, 2019, in M. Phil in Economics (or related discipline like Development Studies, Foreign Policy Management, etc. with Masters degree in Economics) from any UGC recognized university and are awaiting results would also be exempted from RET and be eligible to appear directly in the interview.
They are required to submit their enrolment certificate and a letter from the Head of their respective Departments or higher authority of the University saying that they have fulfilled the above-mentioned criterion. If selected, M. Phil. Candidates are required to submit their result by February 28, 2020, failing which their admission would stand canceled.
The Ph.D. entrance test of 100 marks for the suitable candidates will be held once in a year and the qualifying marks will be fixed at 50%.
Structure of the Examination
- The examination time will be two hours.
- There will be a written examination. There are no multiple-choice questions (MCQ).
- Questions will be on Economic Theory, Quantitative Economics, and Contemporary
Global and Indian Economic Problems.
- 60 percent of the marks are allotted for Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomic Theory, Statistics and Econometrics, and Mathematical Economics and 40 percent for essay type questions on Contemporary Global and Indian Economy problems.
- The eligible candidates identified through RET/ NET/ SET/ M. Phil and other equivalent examination recognized by UGC have to submit a statement of purpose (SoP) indicating the area of research interest (not exceeding 1000 words) on which a final interview will be conducted.
- The SoP has to be submitted at the time of the application itself.
- Candidates with at least 55% marks in Economics at the Master’s level from any other UGC recognized university are eligible to take the examination. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories as per the UGC norm need to have at 50% to sit in the examination. Those who have qualified in UGC/CSR (JRF)/NET/SET/SLET or already obtained M. Phil degree would be exempted from the examination.
- The final selection of the candidates will be based on interview performance.
How to Apply
Application for the Ph.D. program in the prescribed format available here including that for the Research Entrance Test (RET) with Statement of Purpose (SOP) to be submitted by December 20, 2019 (Friday) in the Office of the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta.
Important Dates & Venue
- Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
- Date of RET Examination: January 2, 2020 (Thursday) at 1.00-3.00 p.m. in the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta;
- Date of Publication of RET Result: January 7, 2020 (Tuesday);
- Date of Interview: January 13 and 15th, 2020 (Monday and Wednesday) from 11 a.m.
in the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta.