The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington DC, USA, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy, are seeking candidates to participate in the seventh annual summer course on science diplomacy to be held from 30 August to 3 September 2021. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this is the second year the workshop will be held virtually.
The AAAS-TWAS Science Diplomacy training programme was established in 2014 to expose scientists, policymakers, diplomats and other interested stakeholders and institutions to science diplomacy concepts, explore key contemporary international policy issues relating to science, technology, environment and health, and build a skillset to allow for careers at the intersection of science and diplomacy.
Over the past years, we have trained over two hundred emerging leaders from more than 50 countries to address science diplomacy from global and regional perspectives.
The ‘participant pair’ will include:
Participant 1: a Young Scientist (40 years or below) whose research and wider engagement has international policymaking implications or applications, and
Participant 2: from the policymaking arena, working on science, technology, and innovation-related matters. This person should belong to one of the following categories:
- A local or national government official.
- A policymaker.
- A diplomat.
- A representative of an academy of sciences.
- Civil servant.
- A representative of a research funding institution.
- Staff or expert working for and/or with an international (e.g. UN) organization.
If necessary, young scientists applicants are encouraged to check with the head of their home institute for suggestions on a possible suitable co-applicant from the policymaking arena.
- Twin applications must be submitted online as follows:
- Participant 1 in the participant pair (Young Scientist) must apply with the online form accessible through this page.
- Participant 2 in the participant pair (from the policymaking arena as indicated above) must apply with the online form accessible here.
- The deadline for submitting applications is 31 May 2021.
- Successful candidates will be informed by the end of June 2021.
For official notification, click below.
You may also be interested in: