The Competition Commission of India (CCI) will organize the 7th National Conference on Economics of Competition Law on 4th March, 2022 in New Delhi.
Competition Commission of India is the competition regulator in India. It is a statutory body of the Government of India responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002 and promoting competition throughout India and to prevent activities that have an appreciable adverse effect on competition in India.
Objectives of Conference
This conference aims to:
- Stimulate research and debate on contemporary issues in the field of economics of competition law
- Develop a better understanding of competition issues relevant to the Indian context
- Draw inferences for implementation of competition law in India
The Conference is expected to cover a wide range of related themes. However, papers in following themes are encouraged:
- Market definition, measuring market power and abuse of dominance: Issues like empirical methods of defining markets, measuring market power, and assessment of exclusionary unilateral conduct etc. may be covered among others.
- Vertical restraints and competition: Vertical restraints can have many procompetitive as well as anticompetitive effects. Papers may explore areas such as resale price maintenance, assignment of exclusive territories or exclusive dealing, tying and bundling and circumstances under which these restrictions have anti-competitive effects.
- Horizontal agreements and cartelization: Prohibition of collusive conduct of firms is a key component of competition law. Papers may explore issues such as economics of collusion, information exchange, price signaling, facilitating factors for cartels, detecting and discouraging cartels etc.
- Economics of platform markets and challenges for antitrust enforcement: New digital products and business models as well as the special characteristics of digital markets have created new challenges for enforcement and competition policy. Papers may explore new tools and techniques that the discipline of economics offers for assessing competition issues in platform markets.
- Intellectual Property Rights and competition law: Competition law will be concerned not with the legitimate exercise of an IP right, but with efforts of the holders of this right to expand the scope, either to new products, or beyond a certain time or by conditioning access to the right on restrictions. Papers may explore areas of recent concerns in the IPcompetition law interface.
- Price and non-price effects of mergers: Economic analysis is playing an increasingly important role in merger review. Papers may focus on recent developments in estimating the effects of mergers (merger simulation, diversion ratios, pricing pressure indices, etc.), innovation effects and welfare effects of mergers including vertical or conglomerate mergers, issues in the use of appropriate remedies, that is, adoption of structural and/or behavioral remedies
- Any other issues related to competition policy and law
Who should Participate?
The conference targets economists including scholars, practitioners and competition agency officials with a keen interest in economics of competition law and policy. Co-authored papers are allowed. However, one of the authors should be an Indian citizen having expertise/ specialization in Economics.
Submission of Papers
- A 1000-word abstract of the paper including research questions, methodology and expected results along with one-page curriculum vitae and contact details should be submitted initially.
- Authors of selected abstracts will then be invited to submit full original papers of not more than 6000 words.
There is no conference fee.
Paper presenters at the Conference shall be provided financial support.
How to Submit?
Abstract along with CV may be sent to email@example.com. The CV should necessarily include education, work experience and publication in the area of economics, if any. Requests for further information or any other queries may also be sent to this email address.
- Last date of submission of abstracts: 1st August, 2021
- Review, Selection and intimation to authors: 1st October 2021
- Last date for submission of full papers: 1st December 2021
- Review and Finalization of papers: 1st February 2021