Applications are invited for the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures Program 2021-22 for Young Women in STEM by the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS).
The New York Academy of Sciences (originally the Lyceum of Natural History) was founded in January 1817. It is one of the oldest scientific societies in the United States. An independent, nonprofit organization with more than 20,000 members in 100 countries, the academy’s mission is “to advance scientific research and knowledge; to support scientific literacy, and to promote the resolution of society’s global challenges through science-based solutions”.
About the Program
1000 Girls, 1000 Futures is a groundbreaking initiative designed to engage young women interested in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), and advance their pursuit of STEM careers through mentoring and 21st-century skills development.
How does it work?
The New York Academy of Sciences invites young women ages 13-17 around the world to join 1000 Girls 1000 Futures to receive mentorship from female STEM experts, gain access to college readiness and leadership coursework, and network with other girls passionate about STEM!
1000 Girls 1000 Futures empowers young women to learn independently and work collaboratively on Launchpad, the Academy’s unique online learning platform. On Launchpad, students complete the coursework at their own pace and apply their skills to work on different projects with their peers. Mentors are available to guide students throughout the program, from navigating the college application process to setting career goals.
1000 Girls 1000 Futures participants are enthusiastic learners with a passion for science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Age: 13–17 years old.
- Location: Anywhere in the world.
- Language: All program content and communication on the platform is in English, and a strong level of English proficiency is required. Students’ English proficiency will be assessed during the application process.
- Time Commitment: Students will complete the coursework at their own pace and set their schedule to meet with the mentors during the program year from September to June.
- Cost: None. 1000 Girls 1000 Futures is completely free for participating students.
Qualified mentors for 1000 Girls 1000 Futures are:
- Self-identified women who are either pursuing a Ph.D. in a STEM-related field OR currently working in a STEM-related field
- Able to access at least one communication device with internet capabilities
- Able to communicate clearly in spoken and written English
- Able to commit to 3-5 hours of program training and participation in the program monthly from September to June
- Passionate about engaging and inspiring the next generation of young women around the world
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the program through this link.
- Application Opens: April 12th, 2021
- Application Deadline: July 31st, 2021
- Decision Notification will be sent by mid-September 2021
For more details, click the link below.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: