About National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation:
The National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) has been set up by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India on 24th January 1997. The company is registered under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 as a Company not for profit. It is wholly owned by Government of India and has an authorized share capital of Rs. 400 crores (Rupees Four Hundred Crore only). The company is managed by Board of Directors nominated by Government of India.
NHFDC functions as an Apex institution for channelising the funds to persons with disabilities through the State Channelising Agencies (SCAs) nominated by the State Government(s).
About the Scheme:
The objective of the Scheme is to provide financial assistance to the differently-abled students to enable them to pursue professional or technical courses from recognized institutes and get employed/self-employed.
Differently-abled students face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity to earn their livelihood and find a dignified place for themselves in the society. This scheme envisages encouraging differently-abled students by providing scholarships and other assistance to pursue professional or technical courses and various skill development courses for their empowerment
Number of Scholarships:
- To start with every year 2500 scholarships will be provided to the differently-abled students throughout the country.
- 30% scholarships will be reserved for girls, which will be transferable to male students in case of non-availability of female candidates.
- These scholarships will be available for studies in India, for all differently-abled students who are covered under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999.
- Only Indian Nationals will be eligible for scholarships.
Conditions for Scholarship:
- Financial assistance will be given to pursue degree and/or post graduate level technical and professional courses from a recognized institution.
- Maintenance, book/stationery allowance and grant for the purchase of assistive devices will be credited to the student’s account.
- Non-refundable fees shall be reimbursed to the student on the production of proof of deposit of fees or will be paid directly to the Institute under intimation to the student.
- The scholarship will be awarded for only one course at a time.
- Students who get admission to a college to pursue technical/professional courses, on the basis of a competitive examination will be eligible for the scholarship without any consideration of the percentage of marks at higher secondary/graduation level.
- Students who get admission in technical/professional courses without facing any competitive examination will also be eligible for the scholarship. However, such students should have not less than 50% marks at higher secondary/graduation level. Selection of these students will be done strictly on merit basis.
- In the case of female students should have not less than 45% marks at higher secondary/graduation level.
- Students who pursue their education through correspondence would also be eligible for the scholarship.
- Continuation of the scholarship in subsequent years will be subject to successful completion of the course during the preceding year. However, grace period shall be admissible for Girl Students and Students failing in category C-4 is of two years and for all other categories is for one-year w.e.f. the academic year 2014-15.
- A candidate who is awarded a scholarship for one course, after its completion will be eligible for another course too. However, the awardees will not be eligible for a similar or equivalent course.
- A scholarship holder under this Scheme will not avail any other scholarship/stipend for pursuing the course.
- The annual income of the beneficiary/parent or guardian of beneficiary should not exceed Rs. 3.00 lakh from all sources. However, preference shall be given to economically weaker students
How to Apply:
To Apply for the Scholarship, click here.
For further details, please visit the link given here.