The Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
The fellowship is organized by ‘United States-India Educational Foundation’. You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered
Applications are invited in the following fields only:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science (with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy)
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies
- International Law
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Public Policy
- Public Health
- Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Study of the United States (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management); and Women’s and Gender Studies.
The fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any.
Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S.
- You should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S.
- You should be registered for your Ph.D. at an Indian institution by August 1, 2016. In your online application form, one of the referees must be your Ph.D. supervisor. S/he must comment on your research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicates the Ph.D. registration date and topic;
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis. Therefore, your expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2019 is your grant end date, you cannot submit your thesis before August 2019.
- If you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form
- You should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis in your online application form.
For further information on the eligibility criteria click here.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted online on this link.
- Please carefully review the FNDR Applicant Instructions before starting your online application.
- Please refer FNDR Applicant Checklist before submitting the application.
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application: FNDR Applicant Annexure FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form
Timeline and Placement Process
- June 15, 2017:Application due date for 2018-2019 awards
- Mid-July 2017: Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates
- Late August 2017: National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi
- Early September 2017: USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees that they are recommended. Nominees take TOEFL
- Late September 2017:USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement
- March-April 2018: USIEF notifies finalists
- May-June 2018: Pre-Departure Orientation
- July-August 2018: Pre-academic training in the U.S. (if required)
- August-September 2018: Program begins
Last day to apply: June 15, 2017, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
United States-India Educational Foundation
12 Hailey Road, New Delhi 110 001
To know more detail, click here to view the official notification.